New Zealand Graduates
The application process is now available online.
Prior to applying, please ensure that you have read the Board’s Guidance notes.
To apply for registration as a New Zealand graduate, you must have successfully completed one of the following qualifications:
- Bachelor of Health Science (Physiotherapy) at Auckland University of Technology
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy at the University of Otago
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy with Honours at the University of Otago
You can apply for registration online at https://mypbnz.physioboard.org.nz and you must provide:
- This includes personal details, fitness for registration questions and a declaration.
- The application for registration fee is $354.00
Proof of identity:
- This can be either a certified copy of the personal pages of your current passport, or a certified copy of your birth certificate, and can be uploaded online.
Evidence of change of name (where applicable):
- You must provide a certified copy of evidence of your name change, which can be uploaded online.
Criminal conviction record (New Zealand):
- All applicants must provide a current criminal conviction record issued by the New Zealand Ministry of Justice.
- This must be issued by the New Zealand Ministry of Justice and dated within three months when received by the Board.
- To obtain this document refer to the Ministry of Justice website at: https://www.justice.govt.nz/criminal-records/get-your-own/ – please note that the processing time is up to 20 working days
- This record must include your full name (including middle name(s)) and any previous names, or names that you are known by).
- The New Zealand Ministry of Justice will most likely email criminal conviction records to you. If you receive your report as a PDF document via email, then you can upload this PDF online. We cannot accept a printed copy of the email that the Ministry of Justice sent to you.
- If you were posted your criminal conviction record, you can either post us the original, or upload a certified copy of the original online.
- You are not required to disclose any convictions covered by the Criminal Records (Clean Slate) Act 2004.
- If you have declared a criminal conviction, a template has been developed for Reflective statements.
Criminal conviction record (overseas) (where applicable):
- You will need to provide a certified copy of a criminal conviction record if you have lived in a country other than New Zealand for 12 months or more, within the last ten years, while you were aged 18 or over. The certified copy can be uploaded online.
- This record must be dated within three months when received by the Board, and must include your full name (including middle name(s)) and any previous names, or names that you are known as).
- We accept the same documents as Immigration New Zealand, please see their website for details on how to request the correct certificate: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/tools-and-information/tools/police-certificates
- If a conviction is disclosed on your criminal conviction record that would have been covered by the Criminal Records (Clean Slate) Act 2004 (had it occurred in New Zealand), then the Board will treat this type of conviction as though it was in fact covered by the Clean Slate Act, and disregard this conviction when considering your application.
- Criminal conviction records from the U.S.A – In addition to your FBI Identity History Summary Check, you will need to provide a criminal conviction record issued by the state police department in the state where you currently reside and all other states you have previously resided in for 12 months or more, within the last ten years, while you were aged 18 or over.
Proof of qualification:
- This can be a certified copy of your degree certificate or a certified copy of your complete academic transcript of academic record confirming your successful completion of your undergraduate physiotherapy programme that is signed by an official of the university.
- We accept proof of qualification shared via My eQuals. You can submit a link to your My eQuals profile on your online application.
Fitness for Registration information (where applicable):
- You are required to answer questions related to your fitness for registration, and you may need to provide further information, depending on your answers to the questions. Please see pages 3-4 below, for further information regarding Fitness for Registration.
Certificate of Good Standing (sent directly from your educational institution):
- As part of your application, the Board must also receive a Certificate of Good Standing from your educational institution, which includes information about you, including (but not limited to) information regarding health conditions and conduct.
For further information on the application process please contact us.
New Graduate Presentation
Are you a NZ new grad, or are you planning on hiring one? Take a look at our video which gives an overview of the process. You can find more information and the relevant forms online at: https://www.physioboard.org.nz/new-zealand-qualified-physiotherapists
Posted by Physiotherapy Board on Thursday, 11 June 2020