Documents outlining the recertification process from 2021 are listed below along with templates to assist your CPD planning.
Guidance and information:
Note: this list is not exhaustive, and you should also consider your own self-directed learning
- Māori cultural practices. Health Quality Safety Commission NZ. (Length: 9.01 mins). This is a video of Māori whānau telling their stories about engaging with health care services. In it, Māori customs and rituals, kai (food), karakia (prayer), and waiata (songs) are mentioned, and that Māori ways of working take account of the whole person.
- Māori Health Care and The Treaty https://www.youtube.com/watch?
- The Hui process: A framework to enhance the doctor-patient relationship with Māori. C. Lacey, T. Huria, L. Beckert, M. GIllies, and S. Pitama. (2011). The New Zealand Medical Journal, 124(1347). This article reports on the Hui process, a framework that is used in medical education at the University of Otago, Christchurch, to guide clinical interaction with Māori that has been derived from engagement and relationship building principles of Te Ao Māori. To access the article, click on the “Download full-text PDF” link.
- Health Quality and Safety Commission New Zealand – Understanding bias in health care https://www.hqsc.govt.nz/our-
programmes/patient-safety-day/ publications-and-resources/ publication/3866/
- Health Quality and Safety Commission New Zealand – Cultural safety and cultural competence https://www.hqsc.govt.nz/our-
programmes/patient-safety-day/ previous-psw-campaigns/psw- 2019/cultural-safety-and- cultural-competence/
- SMS Toolkit – Equity videos and guide: https://www.smstoolkit.nz/
- Curtis, E., Jones, R., Tipene-Leach, D. et al. Why cultural safety rather than cultural competency is required to achieve health equity: a literature review and recommended definition. Int J Equity Health 18, 174 (2019). https://equityhealthj.
- The La Trobe University in Melbourne, Australia, ‘Reflective Practice in Health Sciences’ http://latrobe.libguides.com/
- Physiotherapy New Zealand (PNZ) Models of Reflection (note: this is in the Member Login section of https://pnz.org.nz/ which you must be a member to access).
- Schon D. The Reflective Practitioner: How professionals think in action. London. Temple Smith; 1983
- Taylor B. Reflective Practice: a guide for nurses and midwives. Allen & Unwin; 2000.
- Kolb DA. Experiential learning: experience as the source of learning and development. Englewoods Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice Hall, 1984.
- Rolfe, G. (2002). Reflective practice: where now?. Nurse Education in Practice, 2(1), 21-29.
Our Professional Advisor, Maarama, and our Deputy Registrar Lisa cover off some of the key points about the new Recertification programme and what it means for practitioners.The full resource including guidelines and template is available at www.physioboard.org.nz/i-am-registered/recertification-audit/audit-resource-centre
Posted by Physiotherapy Board on Wednesday, 30 September 2020